Saturday, April 08, 2006

Video Games - What are they really offering kids?

Video games is a wierd subject with me. I used to be addicted to just about anyform of sitting on a computer or gaming system that could be imagined. But all the time I spent playing those games, much more was happening in the world around me that I was missing. The really big question is: What do video games really offer kids? The offer an interactive chance to use the imagination. When playing a video game the child becomes the character, and has the ability to make the decisions for the character.

But computers offer alot to the world, and at the same time they can take away from the balance of skills that a person has in thier life. Too many kids these days spend way too much time at the computer, or infront of the television. The United States wonders why obesity has skyrocketed since the late 90's. Could it be that's when heavy use of the computer and video game started?

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Renee said...

Adding to Trisha's comment...I don't think kids are not playing outside till dark because they don't want to, maybe their parents are scared. I wouldn't go as far as to say that the world now is SOOO much more dangerous than it was when we were kids, but maybe parents feel safer with their kids parked in front of a tv or computer where they can see them. We are so saturated with horrific stories of abductions and murders (because it makes good tv) that even I, in my mid-twenties, have become afraid of the dark. Again, not that this stuff didn't happen 15 or 20 years ago, but we certainly weren't force fed it like we are now. So maybe part of the negative aspects of video games aren't perpetuated by student/child interest but rather the parents. Maybe.. maybe not. I do think that video games can offer something to kids inside and outside of the classroom but as with anything else in life... MODERATION IS THE KEY!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home